Saturday, September 1, 2012

Not enough hours in a day




I know I'm not the only one who thinks this. For some it might be quite the opposite, but i feel, depending on what you do, it's either categorized in 2 boxes. 1.) your doing the same few things you do everyday that are long and time consuming, or box 2.) your day is filled with a bunch of smaller tasks that equal out to be long and time consuming.
Problem? These things are usually necessary for your every day life.
Other problem? There are just not enough hrs in a day!

A working parent's day might look something like this,
Wake up & get kids off to school
Rush to work
Stay at work from 8am-4pm
Pick up children from school/daycare
Go home start dinner
Make sure home works is done
Bathe children & put them to bed at 7:30pm
Stay up and prepare everything for next day

OR

A stay at home parent's day might look like this,
Wake up to children who have already been up!
Go start coffee as your children flock to your legs for food, like pigeons in a McDonalds parking lot
(phone rings...immediate chaos ensues)
Feed children ( sprinkle Cheerios on floor) LOL
Remove diaper from fluffy butt
Attempt to make cup of coffee
Leave coffee to attend to child who has pee'd the Nile river
Remove remote from the hands of wrestling children, because the hot debate is if we're going to watch the weather channel (Evelyn) or PBS ( Omri)
(phone rings...immediate chaos ensues)
Nurse youngest child who has just injured herself using the oven door as a hang gliding device
Rangel up children to wash and dress in attempts to get them to the park/ or library
Come home to prepare lunch
Pray that ALL children take a nap
Try and relax while 2 children sleep and one runs the house
(phone rings...immediate chaos ensues)
Look at the clock and scream "IT'S ONLY 1:30!"
Check email ?
Kids wake, have a snack read 4 out of the 15 library books
Take pictures of them bouncing off walls
Watch naked child walk past me with one red glove and a slice of raisin bread
Chat on bed with 6 yr old about butterflies
Daddy comes home 3pm
Run to bedroom with iPad chocolates
12 mn later..........smallest child pushed bedroom door open and crawls on bed
Do a load of diaper laundry
Play tea party dr.s office in learning room
Tear up kitchen table with popsicle sticks and water colors
Eat dinner at 7ish ( yeah I know)
2out of 3 kids in bed by 9
Oooh, remember to put laundry in drier
Live the nightlife with Little one till 10 ish.....then head to bed
My last glance at the clock says 1:34 am

NOTE:
(Since I've come from the working world with child and am now a SAHM with children these are from my experiences)

Now I know both these look 3 chocolates short of desirable, but they share similar qualities. They both lack the obvious, housekeeping duties, and 'extras', But I pulled from both, what were necessity.
I think we can all agree to some extent, that after we do such 'duties' we could use an extra 4 to 8hrs a day to complete the other needed tasks in our lives, I.e washing floors, doing laundry, keeping up with dishes, running to the post office, having the time to catch up with phone calls / emails, time for yourself and so on.

There just aren't enough hrs in a day

And Until there are a few extra hrs added, I'm going to continue to put what i feel are important first. Reading, playing, laughing, eating, teaching, hugging, screaming, being creative and taking it slow.
Because my dishes will be just as I left them, but my children won't keep.

And here's a little ditty I mustered up.........

I don't do it because it's easy, I do it because it's worth it!

'My house is spotless', is a lie
My sticky floors make great designs
Clean kitchen table adorned with flowers...er...
My Dirty dishes are stacked like towers
I wish i had time for things of this sort....
But laundry piles make great forts
No t.v room located in basement
My children make for great entertainment
Our laughter is far greater than our cries
If i state, 'I'm a perfect mother' I'd be telling you lies
Join us if you will, or leave us alone
While we demonstrate what it's like to make a house a home :)

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with there being "not enough hours in the day". I started two new part-time college teaching jobs and a part-time university course in August, and I've got no time any more. the course and the two jobs only add up to about 30 hours per week, but travelling to and from each of three locations and the prep and other work for each means that the rest of my life seems to have been put on hold.
    I used to be able to sew (and blog on my sewing blog) a couple of times a week, but there's been a gap of months in my blog and no sewing at all either as I explain in my latest blog post (http://handmadebyclairebear.com/2012/10/26/almost-no-sewing-at-all/).
    I love teaching and I've been trying to get on this course for years, and I don't even have small children to run around after, mine are now at University!

    ReplyDelete